Dan Kitwood has just returned to the UK after covering the ongoing conflict in Gaza. He shares his experiences...
"On August 12, I was assigned by my office to Gaza to cover the aftermath of two weeks of intense bombing.
A much needed 72 hour ceasefire had come into effect offering a window of opportunity for me to enter safely, and a brief respite to a people counting once more the cost of what must seem a never ending conflict.
At the time of writing this, having returned back to the UK, the ceasefire between Palestinian factions and Israel had lasted 8 days. A further 24 hour ceasefire extension had broken down with rockets fired reportedly firstly from Hamas and then the Israel Defence Force.
The Palestinian death toll from Israel's weeks-long military operation on the Gaza Strip stands at over 2,000 with 64 Israeli soldiers and three civilians killed in Israel.
The pictures below offer a glimpse into the lives of the people of Gaza during this difficult time."
Captions to accompany pictures are below gallery...
1) Islam El Masri stands in what remaines of her destroyed home on August 14, 2014 in Beit Hanoun, Gaza.
2) Palestinian children play amongst the ruins of a demolished mosque and water tower on August 15, 2014 in Khuza'a, Gaza.
3) Two children stand in their demolished home holding ammunition on August 14, 2014 in Beit Hanoun, Gaza.
4) A family gather around a fire on August 14, 2014 in Shu Jia, Gaza. A new five-day ceasefire between Palestinian factions and Israel went into effect today as part of efforts aimed at reaching a permanent truce deal.
5) People begin to empty the street at last light on August 14, 2014 in Shu Jaia, Gaza.
6) Palestinian fishermen check their nets for fish after returning to shore after a mornings fishing on August 15, 2014 in Gaza City, Gaza. Recent restrictions imposed by neighboring Israel, has meant that their fishing boats are only allowed three nautical miles offshore, following a month of a complete ban on fishing during the recent fighting.
7) Palestinians attend Friday noon prayers in the shadow of a toppled minaret at Al-Susi Mosque on August 15, 2014 in Gaza City, Gaza.
8) A young boy cries as he has his hair cut in a barber on August 16, 2014 in Gaza City, Gaza.
9) Palestinian men play bat and ball in an alleyway on August 16, 2014 in Gaza City, Gaza.
This article was originally published on Dan's blog which you can visit here.
You might also like Photographer Dan Kitwood captures the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan and Dan Kitwood: An unexpected moment
About Dan Kitwood
Kitwood is a staff news photographer for Getty Images in London covering news in the UK and beyond.
Since joining in 2007, he has covered international assignments in numerous countries including Nigeria, Tunisia, Benin, South Africa, Philippines and most recently The Crimea. His images have appeared in publications around the world including National Geographic, Geo Magazine The New York Times, The Sydney Morning Herald, The LA Times, The Guardian, The Independent, Time and Newsweek.