The Academy Awards have long been the showcase for some of the most memorable gowns of all time. From Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive to Grace Kelly in Edith Head, it’s prime time to take a look back at the 30 most incredible Oscar dresses of all time.
1. Gwyneth Paltrow wowed in white in this Tom Ford dress with the added extra of the stylish cape. 2012 was the year Gwyneth took a fashion risk and it worked.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 26: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow arrives at the 84th Annual Academy Awards held at the Hollywood & Highland Center on February 26, 2012 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images)
2. Halle Berry stole the show with that body at the 2002 Oscars. The Ellie Saab designed dress teamed with an embroidered sheer top was quite risqué for the time. Plus it was the first time a winner wore a Lebanese designer at the Oscars.
Halle Berry poses with her Actress in a Leading Role Oscar for 'Monster's Ball' (Photo by SGranitz/WireImage)
3. Kate Winslet chose British designer Ben De Lisi in 2002. Way before his Designer at Debenhams collections, De Lisi was designing for the red carpet. The colour and pretty floral corsage detail proved this dress to be the start of a winning red carpet career for both.
UNITED STATES - MARCH 24: Kate Winslet at the Seventy Fourth Annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles, United States on March 24, 2002 - For the first time this year the Oscar show was held in its brand new home, the Kodak Theatre, located in the heart of Hollywood, California. (Photo by David LEFRANC/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images)
4. Charlize Theron looked like a princess at the Oscars in 2005 in her Dior baby blue gown. The eye catching frou frou ruffles was more Hollywood star than surfer girl.
Charlize Theron during The 77th Annual Academy Awards - Arrivals at Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, California, United States. (Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic)
5. Cher made an entrance at the 1987 Oscars in Bob Mackie. Cher continued working with Mackie over the years and this was camp dressing at its best. The striking gown screamed show girl!
Actress Cher holds her Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscar for 'Moonstruck' at the Academy Awards April 11, 1988 in Los Angeles, CA. The Academy Awards are prizes given out annually in Hollywood for excellence in film performance and production. (Photo by John Barr/Liaison)
6. Grace Kelly picked up her Best Actress award in 1955 in this elegant Edith Head dress. Head was the legendary Paramount Costume Designer, designing the film wardrobes for iconic films such as Roman Holiday and Funny Face.
American actress Grace Kelly (1929 - 1982) and screenwriter George Seaton (1911 - 1979) celebrate their wins at the Academy Awards in Los Angeles, 30th March 1955. They both received Oscars for the 1954 film 'The Country Girl'. (Photo by Silver Screen Collection/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
7. The ever stylish Vanessa Paradis nailed that 'I haven't tried too hard' look at the 2004 Oscars and of course looked gorgeous in vintage Chanel Couture. The pretty beaded ruffles defied modern elegance.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 29: Actor Johnny Depp (centre), mother Betty Sue Palmer (left) and girlfriend Vanessa Paradis attend the 76th Annual Academy Awards on February 29, 2004 at the Kodak Theater, in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
8. It may have been the leg baring split that got people talking about Angelina Jolie in her Atelier Versace gown in 2012 but look again and you see the shining star she is. Her red lips set off against the black gown gives her the bombshell look.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 26: Actress Angelina Jolie arrives at the 84th Annual Academy Awards held at the Hollywood & Highland Center on February 26, 2012 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
9. Cindy Crawford took to the red carpet like a duck to water in her Versace red plunge cut dress in 1991. Ever the stylish supermodel, with her bouncy blow dry she looked striking.
Cindy Crawford and Richard Gere (Photo by Ron Galella/WireImage)
10. Fans were surprised to see Courtney Love swap grunge for glam at the 1997 Oscars in Versace but boy did it work. Teamed with her beautiful hair and make up she could have passed for old Hollywood glamour any day.
Courtney Love at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California (Photo by Jim Smeal/WireImage)
11. It might not be one that comes to mind in the best dressed lists but for iconic looks we can't leave Bjork out in the cold. Created by Macedonian designer Marjan Pejoski the 'Swan' dress from the 2011 Oscars will forever stick in our minds. We have to salute Bjork for taking an outrageous risk. We need more of this in fashion. Top marks.
UNITED STATES - MARCH 25: Bjork, Best Song nomminee for 'Dancer in the Dark' arriving for the 73rd Academy Awards 3/25/01. (Photo by Vinnie Zuffante/Getty Images)
12. Kiera Knightley was a breath of fresh air at the 2006 Oscars in Vera Wang. The custom made plum taffetta mermaid shape gives her curves, with the one shoulder detail adding a modern spin on a sometimes traditional cut.
UNITED STATES - MARCH 05: The 78th Annual Academy Awards - Arrivals in Los Angeles, United States on March 05, 2006 - Keira Knightley arrives to the 78th Annual Academy Awards at the Kodak theater in Hollywood.
13. Jennifer Lawrence always wins us over at awards seasons with her frank sense of humour but her style shouldn't be over-looked. In 2011 she channelled Jessica Rabbit in Calvin Klein with this simple but super sexy red dress. Boom.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence arrives at the 83rd Annual Academy Awards held at the Kodak Theatre on February 27, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic)
14. Niciole Kidman choose John Galliano for Christian Dior in 1997. The choice helped put Galliano on the fashion map and Kidman straight to the top of the best dressed list in her outstanding chinoiserie charteuse gown.
Married actors Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman attend the 69th Annual Academy Awards, Los Angeles, California, March 24, 1997. Kidman wears a green floor-length evening dress.
15. Uma Thurman made an entrance in a little known brand back then called Prada in 1995. As a brand it was much more low key, but this red carpet pairing set her apart from the rest of the meringue pack and will go down in designer history.
16. Wow Wow Wow is all we can say! Anne Hathaway glittered in her Armani Prive gown in 2009. The strapless cut flattered her long and lean shape and extoled elegance.
HOLLYWOOD - FEBRUARY 22: Actress Anne Hathaway arrives at the 81st Annual Academy Awards held at The Kodak Theatre on February 22, 2009 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by John Shearer/WireImage)
17.Sharon Stone opted for the ultimate high low mix. Mixing her satin Vera Wang skirt with a simple oversized Gap shirt borrowed from her then husband's wardrobe. Back in 1998 the only thing to wear was designer runway looks head to toe, so this turned red carpet fashion on its head for all the right reasons.
MONDAY 03/23/98 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 70th ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS AT THE SHRINE AUDITORIUM ARRIVALS
18. Angelina Jolie in this Marc Bouwer gown was positively vamp on her in 2000. Picking up her Best Supporting Actress award looking more Morticia Adams than the screen star goddess we know now, shows how Angie can turn her stylish hand to any look.
Angelina Jolie poses with her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 72nd Annual Academy Awards March 26, 2000 in Los Angeles, CA.
19. Julia Roberts kick started the trend for dipping into the archives when red carpet dressing. 2001 saw her get on the best dressed lists with this vintage Valentino monochrome number. We love.
20. With her vibrant red hair and pale skin the Tom Ford for YSL gown was red carpet gold for Julianne Moore in 2003. There's a reason she looks so smug, she knows this is getting her straight to the top of the best dressed lists.
HOLLYWOOD - MARCH 23: Actress Julianne Moore attends the 75th Annual Academy Awards at the Kodak Theater on March 23, 2003 in Hollywood, California.
21. Renowned for her off beat approach to fashion Sienna Miller rocked a romantic look in 2004 in Matthew Williamson. Working with her best friend Williamson to co-design the emerald green frock ensured she was more best dressed than boho.
2004 Vanity Fair Oscar Party - Arrivals (Photo by George Pimentel/WireImage)
22. Rooney Mara surprised us all in this stunning Givenchy Couture gown. 2012 was the year many other attendees went for an all white look but Rooney dazzled in her dress, setting her apart from all the others.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 26: Actor Rooney Mara arrives at the 84th Annual Academy Awards held at Hollywood & Highland Centre on February 26, 2012 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Dan MacMedan/WireImage)
23. Sarah Jessica Parker looked picture perfect at the 2010 Oscars in her Chanel Haute Couture gown. The embellishment teamed with the satin finish hit all the right notes.
UNITED STATES - MARCH 07: Arrivals at the 82nd Academy Awards for the Oscars Ceremony, Sarah Jessica Parker in Los Angeles, United States on March 07th, 2010. (Photo by Alain BENAINOUS/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images)
24.All hail Jennifer Lawrence in this Dior Haute Couture romantic gown. When bigger is better, the stars always go to Dior.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 24: Jennifer Lawrence poses in the press room during the 85th Annual Academy Awards at the Loews Hollywood Hotel on February 24, 2013 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage)
25. Bennifer fever was at an all time high in 2003 but Jennifer Lopez knew wearing the go-to-guy Valentino, for red carpet dressing would make her a stylish favourite. The dress was inspired by a design he created for Jackie Onassis in 1967.
26. Penelope Cruz went for all out drama in this blush feathered dress in 2007. A red carpet favourite, the sweeping Atelier Versace dress made sure she had fairy tale momentum all night long.
Hollywood, UNITED STATES: Penelope Cruz arrives at the 79th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California, 25 February 2007. AFP PHOTO/Roberto SCHMIDT (Photo credit should read ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images)
27. Nicole Kidman looked exceptional in Balenciaga at the 2007 Oscars. The long red gown with its pussy bow tie detail at the neck, highlighted her best assets - a tiny waist and slender shoulders.
Hollywood, UNITED STATES: Actress Nicole Kidman arrives at the 79th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California, 25 February 2007. AFP PHOTO Timothy A. CLARY (Photo credit should read TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images)
28. Gisele made her red carpet debut in 2005 supporting her then boyfriend Leonardo Di Caprio in Christian Dior. The strapless flowing white gown ensured she did it with aplomb!
Gisele Bundchen at the The 77th Annual Academy Awards - ET Platform at Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Mathew Imaging/FilmMagic)
29. Audrey Hepburn looked like a Hollywood star in this Givenchy frock at the 1954 Oscars. The dress was originally created by Edith Head for Roman Holiday but adapted by Hubert De Givenchy for the awards show. The ivory lace dress created a pretty red carpet look for Audrey and started off a long running relationship with Givenchy on the red carpet.
Stage and Screen, Personalities, pic: March 1954, Actress Audrey Hepburn receives her Oscar as Best Actress for her part in the film 'Roman Holiday' from actor Jean Hersholt, Audrey Hepburn, (1929-1993) born in Brussels, a truly international star from a cosmopolitan background, starred in many films, eg, 'My Fair Lady' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' (Photo by Popperfoto/Getty Images)
30. Farah Fawcett made a statement in disco chic in 1978 with a Stephen Burrows creation. The slinky shiny liquid gold dress was just the right mix of classy meets sexy.
Join the conversation. Leave a comment below or Tweet with #gettyinfocus